I know, I know – I have been MIA lately. But, really, life has been crazy. I returned from my Alaskan and west coast vacation and had approximately two days to get ready for the new school year. Fall semester started off with a bang and I have been busy as ever with all of my students. I have been balancing teaching full time, seeing patients, and consulting at nursing homes. Every day - literally every day - I wake up and am so happy to have the jobs I have; I absolutely love them all and am so very thankful. It is quite an amazing feeling walking into a job I love every single day.
While all of this craziness has been going on, I have still been meal prepping and creating new recipes. I am still following the Wahl’s Protocol, although I did deviate a bit while in Alaska because, well, salmon burgers. At home, we have been eating a ton of salads, mostly because the farmers market has tons and tons of kale right now. This recipe is perfect for an end of summer salad. Berries are slowly going out of season, although local grocers still have them on sale. The deep colors of this salad indicate that its full of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
- 2 cups kale, washed and chopped (you can also substitute a different green)
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup blackberries
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- ⅓ cup plain coconut milk yogurt
- 5 large strawberries
- 4 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. poppy seeds
- In a large bowl gently toss kale, blueberries, and blackberries together
- In a small skillet, toast the sliced almonds for 3-5 minutes until their natural oils are released
- Once the almonds have been toasted, add them to the bowl containing the kale and berries, set aside
- In a blender on medium speed, combine the yogurt, strawberries, and cider vinegar
- Top the salad with desired amount of dressing