When I was little, sloppy joes were my jam. I was a messy kid to begin with, so hand me a sloppy joe and I was in heaven. Apparently, my husband loved sloppy joes as a kid, too. But he recently told me that he liked them "not as sloppy". Like, what does that even mean? Enter this recipe. Although this recipe is still sloppy on the plate, you use a fork and knife so you get less messy. Win-win, right?
Confession time: This recipe was actually created to be Taco Zucchini Boats. But, since I don't eat meat, it's difficult for me to taste these type of recipes as I go. So, after I was done cooking, my official taste tester told me they taste more like a sloppy joe than a taco. Works for me!
This recipe was created to be both low FODMAP and paelo friendly.
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- Pinch of salt and black pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 6 zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the zucchini lengthwise and scoop out the center.
- Season the zucchini with salt and pepper and place cut side down on a baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat the coconut oil until melted.
- Add the ground beef, cook for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and all the spices.
- Mix well and simmer until beef is cooked all the way through.
- Remove zucchini from oven and flip them over.
- Fill the zucchini with the sloppy joe meat mixture and serve hot.
Serves 6, based on 1 whole zucchini per person.