I am always looking for new ways to spice up fish. Let's face it, seafood can get boring and it can most definitely be bland if not cooked the right way. I have topped fish with things like homemade salsas, basil pesto, a little Old Bay, and more.
I really do love basil pesto, but it isn't exactly FODMAP friendly since it's loaded with garlic. So, I knew I needed to come up with some type of delicious green sauce that could be used to top my cod. I created this cilantro pesto with pistachios originally, but also tested it with pine nuts. Pistachios are high FODMAP because they contain fructans (that's the same family as garlic and onion). So, if you follow a low FODMAP diet, stick to the pine nut version.
- 4 cod fillets, about 4 ounces each
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup shelled pistachios (FODMAPers, if you are sensitive to fructans, replace the pistachios with pine nuts)
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- Juice of 2 medium lemons
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Season cod with salt and pepper on both sides and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- Bake cod for 20 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a blender or food processor, combine remaining olive oil, cilantro, pistachios, Parmesan cheese, and lemon juice. Pulse until smooth.
- When cod is done, arrange them on a dish and top each fillet with a spoonful of pistachio pesto. Top with diced tomatoes.