Happy Independence Day, America!
Today, we are celebrating the 4th of July & I hope you are too. Maybe you have been celebrating all weekend and are relaxing today. Maybe you are getting together with friends and family for a cookout. I feel like every time I attend a summer cookout there is always so much food – Americans just love food!
This Fourth of July I decided to make a lighter sweet treat for all of my gluten free family & friends to enjoy. This dessert also incorporates fruit which makes me feel a little less guilty when I eat them. The great thing about this recipe is the base is just a made-from-scratch, gluten free sugar cookie - so, dig this recipe up for Christmas time, too!
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cup gluten free 1:1 flour (or regular flour if you do not follow a GF diet)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the butter and sugar until well combines. Add the egg and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and combine until fully incorporated.
- Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes (seriously - only 30 minutes - of the dough with be as hard as a rock)
- While the dough is chilling, preheat the over to 325 degrees.
- Once 30 minutes is up, remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll it out between two pieces of parchment paper.
- Cut into desired shapes and place on to a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the cookies edges are golden brown.
- To make the frosting, in a small mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese and powdered sugar and beat with a hand mixer.
- After cookies have cooled completely, top with cream cheese frosting, strawberries, and blueberries.