I am always trying to come up with new "burger" recipes. And by burger, I mean a vegetable or grain patty that is in the shape of a burger with absolutely no meat. This is actually the first vegetarian burger that has ever been featured on by blog. Mostly because typical veggie burgers contain onion and beans - and lots of them. This makes most veggie burgers a big no-no for FODMAPers or anyone with a sensitive stomach.
This burger recipe features golden beets. Beets are low in FODMAPs, as long as you have 4 slices or less; this recipe uses 3 beets and it is split between 6 burgers. Although this recipe contains small amounts of FODMAPs, they will likely be tolerated by most. And, again, this recipe is way lower in FODMAPs than other veggie burger recipes.
The other fantastic feature of this recipe is the toasted walnuts. The walnuts really stand out in this recipe and give it an excellent flavor.
Do you have a favorite vegetarian burger recipe? I would love to know it so I can try it out!
- 6 gluten free hamburger buns
- 3 medium golden beets, cooked and grated
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/3 cup gluten free panko
- 3 Tbsp. scallions, chopped (FODMAPers, green part only)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package whole grain brown rice
- 1 Tbsp. mustard
- 2 large eggs
- 3 Tbsp. EVOO
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Clean the beets under warm water and peel skins. Slice beets in half and place them in aluminum foil so they steam in the oven. Allow them to cook for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the toasted walnuts, panko, scallions, salt, pepper, rice, mustard, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the mayonnaise, lemon juice, and feta cheese. Set aside.
- Once the beets are soft, grate them. Add the beets to the rice mixture. Mix well.
- Form the rice mixture into 5 patties. You really have to work to get them to stick together.
- Heat a large skillet on high heat. Add the EVOO.
- Place the patties in the skillet and cooke for 4-5 minutes per side until golden brown and cooked all the way through.
- Place the patties on the gluten free buns and top with the mayonnaise mixture.